Smithers Community Services Association is a non-profit organization that believes in raising the bar on what it means to do a good job. As a member of the Smithers Community Services team, you are fully engaged in your work, you take personal responsibility for your experience with the Association, you are a professional who operates from a place of ethics and integrity and you are prepared to evolve, change and grow as a result of working here.
PROGRAM: Community Learning Services
POSITION: Child Care Provider, Part-Time, Short-Term Contract
(9.30am-1pm on Tuesdays: April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, & May 7, 2019)
The Child Care Provider is responsible for providing child care and age-appropriate activities to the children of families participating in a 6-week food skills program held one day a week in the Evangelical Free Church (next to the Hilltop Pub). The Child Care Provider is responsible for providing a welcoming and supporting learning environment for the children and their parents. The child care will take place in the nursery room at the church.
Reports To: Program Manager, Community Learning Services
Direct Reports: None
• Provides child care and age-appropriate activities for children aged 0-5 years.
• Provides a welcoming and supportive learning environment for the children and their parents.
• Delivers child care provision to fit the needs and ages of the children.
• Selects appropriate toys, games and activities from the CCRR Toy Lending Library as needed to supplement the toys in the nursery, and returns them in a timely manner.
• Role models for parents by practicing positive discipline and parenting strategies.
• Early Childhood Educator or Early Childhood Educator Assistant qualification preferred.
• Secondary school Certificate of Graduation preferred.
• High school students: must be in Grade 11 or higher.
Knowledge and Experience
• A minimum of one year child care experience in a similar position or a combination of relevant training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Self directed and works well independently and as part of a team.
• Possesses excellent verbal communication skills.
• Motivated, well organized and detail orientated person.
• Interacts positively with SCSA staff, clients and the public in person and over the telephone.
• 9.30am-1pm on Tuesdays: April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, & May 7, 2019
• Additional hours as needed for procuring/returning toys from CCRR Toy Lending Library.
• Work requires moderate level of physical effort and/or dexterity, e.g. using or moving medium weight (5–10 kg.) equipment or materials, reaching overhead, bending/stooping, lifting, etc.
The team members at Smithers Community Services Association possess similar personal characteristics while at the same time are encouraged to bring their diverse thoughts, opinions and styles to their work. We highly value our team members and support each person to be successful in their role. Individuals who possess the following qualities are the best fit in our organization.
• Grounded in a people-first approach, working diligently to achieve the goals and objectives of the clients and the organization
• Open, self-aware and authentic with a desire to nurture this in others
• A strategic, critical thinker, accountable for your actions, modeling personal responsibility and initiative in your decision-making
• Flexible in your style, take pride in your work and contribute with the whole team in mind
• Focused on genuine dialogue that is collaborative and straight-forward with an insatiable curiosity about the people and the community you serve
• Collaborative, proactive and solution-focused in your approach, with the intent to find win/win solutions
• Be familiar with and adhere to the philosophy, policies and procedures of the Association.
• Represent the Association positively and professionally at all times.
• Understand and be committed to terms of confidentiality, and sign a pledge of confidentiality.
• Undergo a Criminal Record Search as and when required by the Association
REVISED DATE: March 2019