Smithers Community Services Association is a non-profit organization that believes in raising the bar on what it means to do a good job. As a member of the Smithers Community Services team, you are fully engaged in your work, you take personal responsibility for your experience with the Association, you are a professional who operates from a place of ethics and integrity and you are prepared to evolve, change and grow as a result of working here.
PROGRAM: The Meadows
POSITION: Housekeeping/Meal Server – Casual On Call
The Meadows Assisted Living is an Independent Living BC (ILBC) project and a partnership between Smithers Community Services Association, BC Housing, and the Northern Health Authority, providing seniors with affordable housing, social and recreation activities, hospitality and personal care services. The partnership allows people who require some assistance but not 24-hour care, to remain living independently.
This person will be responsible to clean common rooms daily, clean tenant units’ weekly, serve lunch and dinner meals daily and clean up after meals as budgets allow.
Reports To: Meadows Site Manager
Direct Reports: No direct reports
- Clean common rooms daily. This includes: vacuuming, washing floor areas, cleaning washrooms, dusting, washing walls, and garbage removal.
- Clean tenant units weekly. This includes: vacuuming, washing floors, spot cleaning walls, baseboards and window sills, washroom, checking refrigerator, stove, counters, changing and laundering of bedding and linens
- Prepare dining area for meals
- Serve meals in dining room and/or deliver to tenants units
- Clear dishes and left over food
- Clean and disinfect dining and kitchen area
- Inform the Site Manager when cleaning supplies are low
- Assist with recreation activities
- Assist with an annual “spring cleaning” of the common areas and tenant units or when a tenant moves out.
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with seniors an asset
- Experience cooking an asset though not required
- Knowledge of good customer service techniques
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Ability to communicate professionally and respectfully with all people
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and appropriate relationships with residents and/or their families/representatives
- Ability to comply with safe work practices and food safe handling practices
- Possess good listening, problem solving and communication skills.
- Basic Level 1 technical skills required
The team members at Smithers Community Services Association possess similar personal characteristics while at the same time are encouraged to bring their diverse thoughts, opinions and styles to their work. We highly value our team members and support each person to be successful in their role. Individuals who possess the following qualities are the best fit in our organization.
- Grounded in a people-first approach, working diligently to achieve the goals and objectives of the clients and the organization
- Open, self-aware and authentic with a desire to nurture this in others
- A strategic, critical thinker, accountable for your actions, modeling personal responsibility and initiative in your decision-making
- Flexible in your style, take pride in your work and contribute with the whole team in mind
- Focused on genuine dialogue that is collaborative and straight-forward with an insatiable curiosity about the people and the community you serve
- Collaborative, proactive and solution-focused in your approach, with the intent to find win/win solutions
- Be familiar with and adhere to the philosophy, policies and procedures of the Association.
- Represent the Association positively and professionally at all times.
- Understand and be committed to terms of confidentiality, and sign a pledge of confidentiality.
- Undergo a Criminal Record Search as and when required by the Association
- Actively participate in regular performance evaluations.
- Possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License.