Smithers Community Services Association is a non-profit organization that believes in raising the bar on what it means to do a good job. As a member of the Smithers Community Services team, you are fully engaged in your work, you take personal responsibility for your experience with the Association, you are a professional who operates from a place of ethics and integrity and you are prepared to evolve, change and grow as a result of working here.
PROGRAM: Smithers & District Transit System
POSITION: Casual Transit Driver
Smithers & District Transit provides public transportation, 6 days a week, Monday through Saturday, with a combination of a curb-to-curb service (in the Smithers & Regional District only) and a bus route service operating between Telkwa and Smithers.
The Transit Driver is responsible for proving Transit Driver services as scheduled.
Reports To: Smithers & District Transit Manager
Direct Reports: None
- Maintains appropriate and accurate records and ensures all reports and billings are completed on schedule.
- Keeps the Transit Program Manager apprised of difficult situations and makes recommendations regarding solutions.
- Performs Bus Driver duties as scheduled.
- Completes daily pre and post trip inspection reports.
- Ensures the confidentiality of client information.
- Ensures every precaution is taken to prevent loss or damage of the bus.
- Keeps the bus clean and maintained in proper working order at all times.
- Be knowledgeable of all aspects of the transit system in order to provide helpful, supportive and courteous service to everyone coming in contact with Smithers Transit.
- Provides physical assistance to passengers as required.
- Collects all fares and accounts for all transit revenue on a regular basis.
- Sells tickets and bus passes and accounts for all revenue collected from this source.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Possess a valid Class 4 Driver’s License.
- A Defensive Driving Certificate would be an asset. Knowledge and Experience
- Maintains current certification in Occupational First Aid and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- A clean driving record.
- Experience driving physically and mentally handicapped people. Skills and Abilities
- Ability to handle and assist clients using wheelchairs walkers and other ambulatory aids.
- Ability to maintain unrelated files and records.
- A patient and understanding attitude.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Ability to take initiative and to maintain a calm and professional manner in challenging situations.
- Self directed and works well independently and as part of a team.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivated, well organized and detail orientated person with the ability to prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with SCSA board, staff, clients and the public in person and over the telephone.
- Basic Level 1 technical skills required
- Regularly scheduled hours of work between Monday and Saturday (Relief Driver)
- Potential for on-call hours of work
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements such as dirt, dust, fumes, unpleasant odours, loud noises, etc.
- Work requires moderate level of physical effort and/or dexterity, e.g. using or moving medium weight (5 – 10 kg.) equipment or materials, reaching overhead, bending/stooping, lifting, working from ladders etc.
The team members at Smithers Community Services Association possess similar personal characteristics while at the same time are encouraged to bring their diverse thoughts, opinions and styles to their work. We highly value our team members and support each person to be successful in their role. Individuals who possess the following qualities are the best fit in our organization.
- Grounded in a people-first approach, working diligently to achieve the goals and objectives of the clients and the organization
- Open, self-aware and authentic with a desire to nurture this in others
- A strategic, critical thinker, accountable for your actions, modeling personal responsibility and initiative in your decision-making
- Flexible in your style, take pride in your work and contribute with the whole team in mind
- Focused on genuine dialogue that is collaborative and straight-forward with an insatiable curiosity about the people and the community you serve
- Collaborative, proactive and solution-focused in your approach, with the intent to find win/win solutions
- Be familiar with and adhere to the philosophy, policies and procedures of the Association.
- Represent the Association positively and professionally at all times.
- Understand and be committed to terms of confidentiality, and sign a pledge of confidentiality.
- Undergo a Criminal Record Search as and when required by the Association
- Actively participate in regular performance evaluations.